Asus Republic of Games (ROG) has launched a new top end Intel Z270 Extended ATX gaming motherboard. The Asus ROG Maximus IX Extreme has all the features you might expect, such as Aura Sync illumination, exceptional audio, multiple safeguards, and the latest connectivity options. However, Asus ROG goes further to kit out this board with ‘Water Cooling Master’, a factory fitted ROG styled LCS monoblock which can directly cool your CPU, VRM module, and M.2 slot.
The headlining cooler monoblock was designed from the ground up by ROG and Bitspower. An AiO solution, the liquid cooling hardware is said to come kitted out with integrated flow-rate, water-leak and temperature sensors. Thanks to its design, tubing complexity is kept to a minimum.
Asus’ so called ‘Water Cooling Master’ monoblock provides contact cooling coverage for the computer CPU, the VRMs, and makes direct contact with the M.2 heatsink too (preventing storage transfer throttling). Complementing the LCS are eight onboard fan connectors and sensors to send real-time feedback to the ROG Fan Xpert 4 utility. Using this software allows you to configure optimum RPM fan curves for each radiator.
Other highlights of the Asus ROG Maximus IX Extreme Z270 motherboard can be summed up in bullet points for connectivity, audio, and protections:
- Ultimate connectivity: Intel Ethernet (I219-V), dual M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 supporting NVMe SSD RAID, USB 3.1 front panel connector, 2×2 802.11ac Wi-Fi with MU-MIMO, Bluetooth 4.1, and Thunderbolt 3 support.
- Exceptional audio: ROG-exclusive SupremeFX S1220 codec with 113dB line-in SNR, an ESS Sabre Hi-Fi ES9023P digital-to-analog (DAC) converter for superior front-panel output, and a Texas Instruments RC 4580 op-amp for high gain with low distortion, plus Sonic Studio III, Sonic Radar III and LED-illuminated 3.5mm jacks.
- Comprehensive protection: Pre-mounted I/O shield, reinforced SafeSlot and SafeDIMM, and copper-plated motherboard edge.
Asus ROG has told HEXUS that the Maximus IX Extreme will be available with an SRP of £619.99 from leading retailers in mid-March. Full tech specs are tabulated below.
|ASUS ROG Maximus IX Extreme|
|Processor/CPU socket||LGA1151 socket for 7th Generation Intel Core i7 / i5 / i3 / Pentium / Celeron processors|
|Chipset||Intel Z270 Express|
|Memory||4 x DIMMs, up to a maximum of 64GB, DDR4 4133 (OC)
Intel Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) supported
|Expansion slots||2 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (x16, x8/x8)
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slot (maximum at x4 mode)
1 x PCIe 3.0 x4 slot
|Graphics (VGA)||Integrated Intel HD Graphics processor
DisplayPort 1.2 with maximum resolution of 4096 x 2304 at 60Hz
HDMI 1.4b with maximum resolution of 4096 x 2160 at 24Hz /
Intel InTru 3D / Quick Sync Video / Clear Video HD Technology / Insider
|Multi-GPU||2-way/quad-GPU Nvidia SLI and 3-way/quad-GPU AMD CrossFireX technology|
|Storage||8 x SATA 6.0Gbps
1 x M.2 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices supported (PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA modes)
1 x M.2 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices supported (PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA modes)
|Networking/LAN||Intel I219-V Gigabit LAN with ASUS LANGuard and GameFirst IV|
|USB/Thunderbolt||3 x USB 3.1 ports (1 x Type-A and 1 x Type-C ports, plus 1 x Type-C mid-board)
8 x USB 3.0 ports (6 on back panel, 2 mid-board)
4 x USB 2.0 ports (4 mid-board)
|Audio||ROG SupremeFX S1220 8-channel high-definition audio
– High-quality 120dB SNR output and 113dB SNR recording input
– SupremeFX shielding technology
– ESS® ES9023P high-definition DAC
– Jack-detection, multi-streaming, front-panel mic jack-retasking
– Optical S/PDIF-out port on back panel
|Dimensions / form factor||E-ATX, 12 x 10.7in (30.5 x 27.2cm)|