Which is the best video editing software for Linux? Here is the collection of the best video editing software for Linux 2022 and Ubuntu 2022 Systems.
1. Kdenlive Video Editor
Kdenlive is an open source video editor. It supports multi-track video editing which means, Kdenlive allows you to use and arrange several audio and video tracks, each one can be locked or muted to your convenience.
Users can work upon any audio / video format because Kdenlive is based on the powerful FFmpeg libraries can can use almost any audio and video formats directly without the need to convert or re-encode the clips.
It comes with dozens of effects, ranging from color correction to audio adjustments, as well as all the standard transform options. It also enables proxy editing. Kdenlive can automatically create low resolution copies of your source clips to allow you doing the editing on any computer, and then render using full resolution.
Run the following set of commands to install Kdenlive video editor on Ubuntu Systems:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kdenlive/kdenlive-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kdenlive
2. Openshot Video Editor
OpenShot is a cross-platform video editor, with support for Linux, Mac, and Windows. It comes with various powerful viedo editing features:
- Cross-Platform: OpenShot is a cross-platform video editor, with support for Linux, Mac, and Windows. Get started and download our installer today.
- Trim & Slice: Quickly trim down your videos, and find those perfect moments. OpenShot has many easy ways to cut your video.
- Animation & Keyframes: Using our powerful animation framework, you can fade, slide, bounce, and animate anything in your video project.
- Unlimited Tracks: Add as many layers as you need for watermarks, background videos, audio tracks, and more.
- Video Effects: Using our video effects engine, remove the background from your video, invert the colors, adjust brightness, and more.
- Audio Waveforms: Visualize your audio files as waveforms, and even output the waveforms as part of your video.
Run the following commands in terminal to install OpenShot Video Editor on Linux Ubuntu:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:openshot.developers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install openshot-qt
Once installed, open OpenShot Video Editor from Ubuntu Dash or Terminal.
3. Shotcut Video Editor
Shotcut video editor is another powerful video editor for Linux Ubuntu. It comes with numerous features such as:
- Support for the latest audio and video formats thanks to FFmpeg
- Supports popular image formats such as BMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG, SVG, TIFF, WebP as well as image sequences
- No import required – native timeline editing
- Frame-accurate seeking for many formats
- Multi-format timeline: mix and match resolutions and frame rates within a project
- Webcam capture
- Audio capture
- Support for 4K resolutions
- Network stream playback (HTTP, HLS, RTMP, RTSP, MMS, UDP)
- Frei0r video generator plugins (e.g. color bars and plasma)
- Color, text, noise, and counter generators
- EDL (CMX3600 Edit Decision List) export
- Export single frame as image or video as image sequence
- Videos files with alpha channel – both reading and writing
- Tone mapping HDR to SDR
- Optional full range video input, processing, and export
Run the following commands in Terminal to install Shotcut Video Editor on Ubuntu Linux:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install snapd snapd-xdg-open
sudo snap install shotcut --classic
4. Flowblade Video Editor
Flowblade is a multitrack non-linear video editor released under GPL3 license. From beginners to masters, Flowblade helps make your vision a reality of image and sound.
Flowblade supports all the media that in general can be accessed in a Linux system when the FFMPEG library is working as the backend. Typical startup message on terminal tells that 146 formats, 78 video codecs and 58 audio codecs are available to be used.
- Configurable toolset with up to 9 tools in user selectable order
- Compositing Mode can be selected per sequence to be either Top Down Free Move, Top Down Auto Follow or Standard Auto Follow (2.4->)
- Many timeline behaviours are configurable
- Ripple Trim
- Insert, Append, Overwrite Range and Overwrite Clip actions for adding clips on the Timeline
- All compositors keyframeble
- Most filters keyframeble
- Drag and drop clips on the Timeline
- Clip and Compositor parenting and resync with other clips
- Split audio from video
- Audio levels display
- Clone and copy paste clips and filters
- Mute track video or audio
- Named markers
- Max 9 combined video and audio tracks available
- Change tracks count
- JKL playback and advanced arrow key seek
- Slow motion and fast speed clips
- Export: MLT XML, Adrour session, Frame image
Installing Flowblade using .deb
First download .deb file for Flowblade 126.96.36.199 from here.
Double click on .deb file to install it.
On some systems double clicking may not work (on Ubuntu it has sometimes installed old version from repository), and you need to install .deb file using terminal:
Open terminal in the directory you saved the downloaded .deb file. Give command:
sudo apt install ./flowblade-188.8.131.52-1_all.deb
5. Lightworks Video Editor
Lightworks is a multitrack non-linear video editor with Holywood trength editing features such as:
- Unmatched Format Support – Import just about any common type of media file that you can lay your hands on.
- Simple Social Media Export – Deliver your videos for any social media platform.
- Windows, Mac or Linux – The same user interface, experience and performance regardless of which OS you choose.
- Use Any Frame-rate – Import any frame rate file and play it at its native resolution and shape.
- Proxy Workflows – Increased performance with optimized proxy files from HD, 4K and 8K media.
- Background Processing – Don’t wait for effects to render or exports to finish, carry on working while we handle the hard job in the background.
- Instant Autosave – Never lose your work or your projects. Lightworks auto-saves every single move so you don’t have to think about it.
- Storyboard Bins – Pre-edit directly inside bins by moving content around and instantily turning it into a new sequence.
- Powerful Timeline – From beginners to seasoned pros, our timeline is designed to help you edit as fast as you can think.
- Titling & Motion Graphics – Lightworks comes loaded with 100’s of customisable pre-built graphics.
- Shared Projects – Instantly see Bin updates and sequence changes, including giving permission of sequences to other users.
- Cloud Connected – Edit directly from your cloud storage! Just connect, browse and drop clips into your timeline.
Linux users can download LIghtworks from the official page https://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_lwks&view=download&Itemid=206&tab=1
Download them all or the one you are most satisfied with.