Wondering “how to optimize images for SEO in WordPress website?” Here are some of the best free image optimization plugins for WordPress.
You can use these WordPress plugins for image optimization and image compression.
1. Smush – Compress, Optimize and Lazy Load Images
Optimize your images turn on lazy load, resize, compress and improve your Google Page Speed with the incredibly powerful and 100% free WordPress image smusher, brought to you by the superteam at WPMU DEV! And whether you spell it ‘optimise’ or ‘optimize’, Smush will compress all your images without a visible drop in quality.
Some image compression tools destroy images with as much as a 30% loss in quality. wp-smushit servers strip hidden bulky information from your images and reduce file size without affecting the appearance.
- Lossless Compression – Strip unused data without affecting image quality
- Lazy Load – Defer offscreen images with the flip of a switch
- Bulk Smush – Optimize up to 50 images with one click
- Image Resizing – Set a max width and height and large images will scale down as they are being compressed
- Incorrect Size Image Detection – Quickly locate images that are slowing down your site
- Directory Smush – Optimize images even if they are not located in the media library
- Automated Optimization – Asynchronously auto-smush your attachments for super fast compression on upload
- Unlimited & Free – Optimize all of your images up to 5MB in size forever (no daily, monthly, or annual caps)
- Gutenberg Block Integration – View all Smush stats directly in image blocks
- Multisite Compatible – Both global and individual Multisite settings
- Process All Your Files – Smush will process PNG, JPEG and GIF files for optimum results
- Super Servers – Smush images with no slowdown using WPMU DEV’s fast, reliable Smush API
- Convert to WebP (Pro Only) – Upgrade and automatically serve images in Next-Gen WebP
- And many, many, more!
2. Compress JPEG & PNG images
Compress JPEG and PNG images plugin automatically optimizes all your images by integrating with the popular image compression services TinyJPG and TinyPNG.
After you upload an image to your WordPress site, each resized image is uploaded to the TinyJPG or TinyPNG service. Your image is analyzed to apply the best possible optimization. Based on the content of your image an optimal strategy is chosen. The result is sent back to your WordPress site and will replace the original image with one smaller in size.
On average JPEG images are compressed by 40-60% and PNG images by 50-80% without visible loss in quality. Your website will load faster for your visitors after image compression.
- Automatically optimize new images on upload.
- Advanced background optimization to speed up your workflow.
- Optimize individual images already in your media library.
- Easy bulk optimization of your existing media library.
- Automatically resize huge image uploads by setting a maximum width and/or height for more reasonable browser display.
- Display JPEG images more quickly with progressive JPEG encoding.
- Chose to preserve copyright metadata, creation date and GPS location in your original images.
- Supports compression of animated PNG.
- Select which thumbnail sizes of an image may be optimized.
- Multisite support with a single API key.
- WPML compatible.
- WooCommerce compatible (see below).
- WP Retina 2x compatible.
- WP Offload S3 compatible.
- See your usage on the settings page and during bulk optimization.
- Color profiles are automatically translated to standard RGB color.
- Convert CMYK to RGB to save more space and add compatibility.
- Dashboard widget with your total savings.
- Optimize and resize uploads with the WordPress mobile app.
- No file size limits.
3. EWWW Image Optimizer
The EWWW Image Optimizer will increase your page speeds by way of image optimization. Increased page speeds can result in better search engine rankings, and will also improve conversion rates (increased sales and signups). It will also save you storage space and bandwidth.
EWWW I.O. will automatically optimize new images that you upload, it can also optimize all the images that you have already uploaded, and optionally convert your images to the best file format. You can choose pixel perfect compression or high compression options that are visually lossless.
- No Speed Limits and unlimited file size.
- Smooth Handling with pixel-perfect optimization using industry-leading tools and progressive rendering.
- High Torque as we bring you the best compression/quality ratio available with our lossy options for JPG, PNG, and PDF files.
- Adaptive Steering with intelligent conversion options to get the right image format for the job (JPG, PNG, or GIF).
- Free Parking The core plugin is free and always will be. However, our paid services offer up to 80% compression, and a host of other features!
- Comprehensive Coverage: no image gets left behind, optimize everything on your site, beyond just the WordPress Media Library.
- Safety First: all communications are secured with top SSL encryption.
- Roadside Assistance: top-notch support is in our DNA. While API customers get top priority, we answer every single support question with care.
- Pack a Spare: free image backups store your original images for 30 days.
4. reSmush.it Image Optimizer
reSmush.it Image Optimizer allow to use free Image optimization based on reSmush.it API. reSmush.it provides image size reduction based on several advanced algorithms. The API accept JPG, PNG and GIF files up to 5MB.
This plugin includes a bulk operation to optimize all your pictures in 2 clicks. The plugin includes an option to exclude some pictures of the optimizer.
5. ShortPixel Image Optimizer
ShortPixel is an easy to use, lightweight, install-and-forget-about-it image optimization plugin that can compress all your past images and PDF documents with a single click.
New images are automatically resized/rescaled and optimized on the fly, in the background. It’s also compatible with any gallery, slider or ecommerce plugin.
Short Pixel uses minimal resources and works well with any shared, cloud, VPS or dedicated web hosting. It can optimize any image you have on your website even the images that aren’t listed in Media Library like those in galleries like NextGEN, Modula or added directly via FTP!
- popular plugin with over 200,000 active installations according to WordPress
- compress JPG, PNG, GIF (still or animated) images and also PDF documents
- option to automatically convert PNG to JPG if that will result in smaller images. Ideal for large images in PNG format.
- no file size limit
- option to freely convert any JPEG, PNG or GIF (even animated ones!) to WebP for more Google love.
- option to include the generated WebP images into the front-end pages by using the <picture> tag instead of <img>
- compatible with WP Retina 2x – all retina images are automatically compressed.
- optimize thumbnails as well as featured images. You can also select individual thumbnails to exclude from optimization.
- ability to optimize any image on your site including images in NextGEN Gallery and any other image galleries or sliders
- integrates with Gravity Forms post_image field type optimizing the images upon upload
- featured images can be automatically resized before being optimized with 2 different options. No need for additional plugins like Imsanity
- CMYK to RGB conversion
- 24h stellar support (24/7) directly from developers.
- easily test lossy/lossless versions of the images with a single click in your Media Library
- great for photographers: keep or remove EXIF data from your images, compress images with lossless option
- works well with both HTTPS and HTTP websites
- uses progressive JPEG for larger images in order to speed up the image display
- you can run ShortPixel plugin on multiple websites or on a multisite with a single API Key
- it is safe to test and use the plugin: all the original images can be restored with a click, either one by one or in bulk
- ‘Bulk’ optimize all the existing images in Media Library or in any gallery with one click
- works great for eCommerce websites using WooCommerce or other plugins
- works great with NextGEN gallery, Foo Gallery and any other galleries and sliders
- compatible with WP Engine hosted websites and all the major hosting providers
- compatible with WPML and WPML Media plugins
- skip already optimized images
- compatible with watermarking plugins
- option to deactivate auto-optimizing images on upload
- images that are optimized less that 5% are bonus
- WooCommerce, WP offload S3 and WP Stateless compatible
- 40 days optimization report with all image details and overall statistics
We hope you found these best WordPress image compression plugins useful.