Whenever you open a link on Google Chrome, it automatically redirects you to a linked app if your phone has that app. Sometimes it even redirects that link to Play Store so that you can install that app. But if you don’t want to open some link in the app on your phone, you just want to check it on Chrome itself, then this feature is a trouble for you. This especially happens with the apps like YouTube, Facebook, etc. Don’t worry, in our today’s guide, I am going to tell you how to stop Google Chrome from opening apps on Android.
Stop Google from Opening Apps on Android
You can disable the feature in your Settings on Android and there are two ways to do so. Follow this step-by-step guide to turn-off this feature so that no more links will be opened in the apps.
1. Disable Instant Apps
Instant Apps feature on Android lets you use apps without installing them. So when you tap on a link in Chrome, it either opens an instant app or the real app installed on your phone. Here’s how to disable this:
- Open Settings and go to Apps & notifications and select Default apps under Advanced. On some phones, you will find this under App Management.
- When you find Default apps, tap on Opening links on that page.
- You will then see Instant apps on the next page, turn off the toggle next to it.
You can also change “Instant Apps preferences” from there. When you disable the toggle next to “Upgrade web links”, the browsers on your phone will not open links in apps. You can find this setting in Google Play Store as well.
Open Play Store, tap the left sidebar, and select Settings. Look for Google Play Instant and turn off the toggle next to “Upgrade web links” and that’s it.
2. Don’t Allow Apps to Open Links
The next method to stop Google Chrome from opening apps on Android is to change every app’s setting and don’t allow it to open supported links. This can be changed in app settings and you will need to do it individually for all the apps.
- Go to Settings > Apps and look for Default apps wherever they are on your phone.
- Again tap on Opening links and under Installed apps, look for an app for which you want to change the setting. Tap on the app.
- On the next page, tap Open supported links and it will show you three options- “Allow app to open supported links, Always Ask, Don’t allow app” to open links.
- You should select ‘Don’t allow the app to open links’ to stop it from opening every time.
- Restart the phone, and that’s it.
Chrome will now open that app’s links in the browser itself. Moreover, if you select Always Ask, your phone will ask every time whether it should open the link in an app or not. Similarly, you can change the behavior of other apps for how they open links.
These were some ways to stop Google Chrome from opening apps on your Android. If Chrome still opens apps on your phone, you should try doing app preferences reset, and restart the phone. You can also try opening links in incognito mode if nothing works.
We hope you will be able to open the links in Chrome with the help of these methods. For more such tech tips, stay tuned!