How do I completely delete my Microsoft account?
Companies usually give you a bit of guff when you try deleting an account with them, but Microsoft has a relatively few number of hoops to jump through to do so. No matter the reason for deleting your account, the process remains the same. There are three processes on the way to completely deleting your Microsoft account. Follow these in order.
How to create a local account on your Windows 10 PC
Before deleting your account at Microsoft’s website, you must first remove it from your PC. To do this you must be logged into a different account — local or not — than the one you want to delete. If you don’t already have a local account, here’s how to create one.
- Press the Windows key and R key on your keyboard at the same time.
- Type netplwiz in the Open: field.
- Click OK.
- Click Add.
- Click Sign in without a Microsoft account (not recommended). We recommend it.
- Click Local account.
- Type a username and, if you’d like, a password.
- Click Next.
- Click Finish.
Sign out of the Microsoft account you want to delete and sign in with the local account you just created (or another existing account).
How to remove a Microsoft account from your Windows 10 PC
Once you’re logged in to a different account, follow these steps to remove the unwanted account from your PC.
- Click the Start button.
- Click Settings.
- Click Accounts.
- Scroll down and click the Microsoft account you’d like to delete.
- Click Remove.
- Click Yes.
The account has now been removed from your PC.
How to completely delete your Microsoft account
Now that the account you want to delete has been removed from your PC, you can go ahead with the deletion process on Microsoft’s website.
- Launch your web browser from your desktop, taskbar, or Start Menu.
- Navigate to the close Microsoft account page.
- Type your Microsoft account username in the Email or phone field.
- Type your password in the Password field.
- Click Sign in.
- Type the last four digits of the phone number linked to the Microsoft account you’re trying to delete.
- Click Send code.
- Enter the code that you’ve received as a text message on your phone.
- Click Submit.
- Click No thanks.
- Click Next when you’ve read through the suggestions from Microsoft.
- Click the checkboxes beside each section as you read through them.
- Click the drop-down arrow beside Select a reason.
- Click a reason for closing your account.
- Click Mark account for closure.
- Click Done.
The account will remain in limbo for 60 days in case you have second thoughts about deleting it. At the end of 60 days, the account will be deleted permanently and will be irretrievable.
Your Microsoft account
Care to share why you’re deleting your Microsoft account? Let us know in the comments section below!