Philips has announced a new 27-inch E-Line monitor for users who appreciate full, lifelike, and precise colour reproduction. In addition to the wide colour gamut support, the new FHD 278E8QJAB VA LED monitor features a 1800R curved screen for a more immersive experience. Other features HEXUS readers might be interested in are the monitor’s Adaptive-Sync technology, Flicker Free technology, and SmartImage Lite technology.
Philips intends to bring curved screens to the mainstream with the keenly priced E-Line 278E8QJAB. Its headline qualities are its wide colour gamut support and curvature. For colour reproduction the Philips VA LED display panel is said to be capable of 130 per cent sRGB (104 per cent NTSC) gamut as opposed to the typical 99 per cent sRGB (72 per cent NTSC). Philips confirms this is a hardware colour upgrade not some software technique being applied. Users of photo, movies and graphics applications will be particularly appreciative of the display, thinks Philips.
The curvature of 1800R is said to be a particularly tight radius, so the curvature is rather pronounced. Philips says this form increases the user perception of depth and reduces picture distortion.
Adaptive Sync (FreeSync) technology is supported for smoother viewing of fast moving images and is said to eliminate stuttering, tearing or motion blur. However, the 278E8QJAB’s vertical refresh range isn’t very wide, spanning just 49 – 75Hz.
Additional features integrated to improve your viewing pleasure are; Flicker-Free technology, which auto-regulates the brightness for a steadier picture, and Philips SmartImage Lite, which adjusts settings to suit the content being displayed, dynamically enhancing the contrast, colour saturation and sharpness of images and videos – all in real time. Add Philips SmartContrast to that list for auto backlight intensity control, resulting in further enhanced contrast.
For user convenience Philips has equipped some small stereo speakers, and there’s a choice of VGA, HDMI, or DP ports for video card connection, plus PC audio in and headphone out jacks. With this E-Line monitor Philips has skimped on any kind of USB hub and the stand is only adjustable for tilt (-5/+20 degrees) with no other proper mounting option.
In an email to HEXUS, Philips MMD said that the new 278E8QJAB E-Line display will be available from later this month. The MSRP has been set at £239. Full tech specs follow below:
- LCD panel type: VA LCD
- Backlight type: W-LED system
- Panel Size: 27 inch/68.6 cm
- Effective viewing area: 597.9 (H) x 336.3 (V) – at a 1800 R curvature*
- Aspect ratio: 16:9
- Optimum resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz
- Response time (typical): 4 ms (Grey to Grey)*
- Brightness: 250 cd/m²
- Contrast ratio (typical): 3000:1
- SmartContrast: 20,000,000:1
- Pixel pitch: 0.311 x 0.311 mm
- Viewing angle: 178º (H)/178º (V), @ C/R > 10
- Picture enhancement: SmartImage Lite
- Colour gamut (typical): NTSC 104%*, sRGB 130%*
- Display colours: 16.7 M
- Scanning Frequency: 54 – 84kHz (H) / 49 – 75Hz (V)
- Signal Input: VGA (Analogue), DisplayPort, HDMI (digital, HDCP)
- Sync Input: Separate Sync, Sync on Green
- Audio (In/Out): PC audio-in, Headphone out
- Built-in Speakers: 3W x2
- Power On/Off, Menu, Volume, Input, SmartImage lite buttons
- Stand with Tilt: -5/20 degree
- On mode: 31.8W (typ.), Standby mode: 0.5W, Off mode: 0.5W
- Size: 620 x 470 x 189 mm,
- Weight: 4.8Kg
- D-Sub cable, HDMI cable, Audio cable, Power cable provided