Tails (The Amnesic Incognito Live System) version 2.0 has been released. It is a Debian-based security-focused Linux distribution, and it is designed to increase privacy and anonymity online. This release fixes many security issues, and users should upgrade as soon as possible.
What is so special Tails Linux distro?
- Live CD or USB booting.
- Leave no digital footprint on the machine unless explicitly told to do so.
- Tails forces all its outgoing connections go through Tor network.
- All non-anonymous connections blocked.
- Use the Internet anonymously and circumvent censorship.
- Use state-of-the-art cryptography tools to encrypt your files, emails and instant messaging.
What’s new in Talis version 2.0?
- GNOME Shell in classic mode.
- Debian 8 (Jessie), which upgrades most included software and improves many things under the hood.
- LibreOffice 4.3
- PiTiVi 0.93
- Git 2.1.4
- Poedit 1.6.10
- Liferea 1.10
- Update Tor Browser to 5.5 (based on Firefox 38.6.0 ESR) including Japanese support.
- Remove the Windows camouflage due to broken software in Gnome.
- Sandbox many services using Linux namespaces and make them harder to exploit.
- And much more.
Download the Tails 2.0 ISO DVD/CD images
- Download the ISO image 1.1GB and GRAB CRYPTOGRAPHIC SIGNATURE.
- Or download the ISO using torrent file
Or you can use the wget command on Linux or Unix-like system to grab files:
$ wget http://dl.amnesia.boum.org/tails/stable/tails-i386-2.0/tails-i386-2.0.iso
$ wget https://tails.boum.org/torrents/files/tails-i386-2.0.iso.sig
$ wget https://tails.boum.org/tails-signing.key
$ ls -l
$ gpg --keyid-format long --import tails-signing.key
$ gpg --keyid-format 0xlong --verify tails-i386-2.0.iso.sig tails-i386-2.0.iso
Fig.01: How to verify the Talis ISO image
How do I install the ISO image?
Installing Tails can be quite long and little difficult for new users. I suggest you read the official installation guide for more information. More information regarding the latest release can be found here.