[Fix] Unable to Add and Use PIN Sign-in Option in Windows 10
Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 operating systems allow their users to use PIN code as an alternative sign-in option. You can set a PIN and use it in place of passwords. Use of a PIN makes it easier to sign in to your Windows devices and connect to apps and other online services such as social networks.
Above screenshot shows the use of PIN and password as different sign-in options at Login Screen in Windows 10.
Sometimes users face strange problems while using PIN option in Windows 10 operating system. Many readers have reported us various issues while adding or using PIN in Windows 10. Following are a few issues examples shared by our readers:
- When the user tries to add PIN using Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in Options page, nothing happens. The user clicks on Add button in PIN section, it asks for current account password and then asks to enter desired PIN but as soon as the user clicks on OK button, nothing changes. The PIN is not added. Sometimes the user gets “Something went wrong. Try again later” error message.
- Windows 10 doesn’t allow user to sign-in using PIN. Windows doesn’t recognize the PIN.
- Windows 10 doesn’t show any option to enter PIN at Login Screen.
- Users enter PIN at login screen and the system hangs. Users have to forcefully restart their machine.
- PIN option was working fine but after upgrading to a new Windows 10 build, it stopped working.
- Users are unable to find any sign-in options on Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in Options page. It opens as a blank page.
Above or only a few examples. In simple words, the ability to add and use PIN as a sign-in option becomes completely broken in Windows 10.
It happens due to incorrect/corrupt permissions set applied to a hidden system folder called “Ngc“. This folder is present in following location:
“Ngc” folder stores all settings related to PIN option. If the folder gets corrupted or if the system doesn’t get proper permissions and full control over this folder, the PIN option stops working and users are unable to add new PIN and login using PIN code. Sometimes if this folder is missing in a Windows 10 computer, such kind of problems may also occur.
The solution to fix this issue is very simple! We just need to delete “Ngc” folder and then re-create it. As soon as you create the folder again, Windows will automatically apply proper permissions on it and will allow users to add new PIN and use the PIN at login screen and to connect to apps and services.
To delete this folder, you’ll need to follow these simple steps:
1. Press WIN+R keys together to launch RUN dialog box. Then copy and paste following text string in RUN dialog box:
Press Enter and it’ll open Windows Explorer window where you’ll see Ngc folder.
NOTE: If “Ngc” folder is missing in your computer, move to step 4.
2. If you try to delete Ngc folder, Windows will throw error message regarding insufficient permissions. To be able to delete this folder, you’ll need to take ownership of the folder.
You can easily take ownership of the folder with the help of following tutorial:
Once you use the registry script, right-click on “Ngc” folder and select “Take ownership” option. It’ll take ownership of the folder and assign full control to your user account on the folder.
3. Now delete “Ngc” folder. If Windows asks for confirmation, accept it.
4. After deleting the folder, right-click on empty area and select “New -> Folder” option. Alternatively, you can press Ctrl+Shift+N keys together to create new folder.
Set the new folder name as Ngc and close Explorer window.
5. That’s it. Now open Settings app from Start Menu or by pressing WIN+I keys together. Go to Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in Options page and add new PIN.
Now PIN option will work fine and you’ll be able to add and use PIN without any problem.