Google has plans to hold a major event on Oct. 4. The upcoming event is said to focus on hardware which may mean that the company will officially announce the new Nexus (Pixel) smartphones and the new Chromecast.
Earlier this week, IBT reported that Google will be dropping the Nexus brand for its upcoming smartphones this year. The HTC-built smartphones, currently codenamed Sailfish and Marlin, will be marketed as the Pixel and the Pixel XL, according to Android Police.
The Pixel will be the 5-inch Sailfish smartphone, while the Pixel XL is said to be the 5.5-inch Marlin. Android Police says that one of the sources that provided them with the information has been “exceptionally reliable in the past” and that they are confident that these will definitely be the names of Google’s new smartphones.
This past Friday, another one of Android Police’s “reliable” sources claimed that Google will hold an event on Oct. 2 where the new Pixel smartphones will officially be revealed. The site went on further by claiming that the same event will also see the announcement of the 4K capable Chromecast and the reveal of the Daydream VR hardware (headset). More information on Google Home, the company’s Amazon Echo competitor, is also expected to be detailed at the event.
The newest iteration of the Chromecast is said to come with 4K streaming and it will either be called the Chromecast Plus or the Chromecast Ultra. A 4K-capable Chromecast was supposed to be announced last year, but its release was pushed back for unknown reasons.
The Daydream VR headset on the other hand is said to be officially called as the Daydream View. Google first announced Daydream VR during this year’s I/O conference and is Google’s own mobile virtual reality platform that runs natively on Android Nougat. The company also showed a concept rendering of the platform’s VR headset, but it will be shown live for the first time during the October 2 event.
As of now, there’s no information yet on where the October 4 event will take place. Based on Google's past event venues, San Francisco and New York are the top two places where it may take place. There’s also the possibility that the date could change due to some unforeseen circumstances.
- Benchmarks For Google's Pixel XL (Nexus HTC Marlin) Lists Quad-Core 1.59 GHz Qualcomm Processor, 4GB RAM
- Google Daydream View, Chromecast Ultra, Amazon Echo Dot 2nd Gen Go On Sale
- Google Pixel phone vs OnePlus 3: Which is best for me?
- Google Pixel specs, photos & details leaked ahead of launch
- Google's New 7-Inch Android Tablet Specs Leaked: Snapdragon 820, 13MP Camera And More
- LG V20 hands on: A 5.7-inch phablet for smartphone content creators
- How To Get iPhone X-like Gestures On Any Android Device?
- Nokia launches Nokia 6, Nokia 7 and Nokia 8 in India
- What is Triada? Data-stealing malware infects over 40 Android models' firmware while manufacturing
- LG G7 ThinQ Might Be the Official Name of the Flagship and Feature a Smarter Interface for Better Operations