The GPD Pocket Mini 7-inch laptop has started to ship. GamePad Digital, or GPD for short, ran a successful Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign to get this machine into manufacturing early this year. Now the machine is available to anyone, not just project backers, via online retailers such as GearBest.
As Neowin reports, GPD has previously been successful in designing and selling portable consoles but made quite a departure with this 7-inch full Windows 10 laptop. Key specifications of the GPD Pocket Mini, which will give you an insight into its capabilities and possibilities, are as follows:
- 7.0-inch 1920 x 1080 pixels display, 5-point Touch Screen, Gorilla Glass 3
- Intel Atom X7-Z8750 Quad Core CPU at 1.6GHz, up to 2.56GHz
- Intel HD Graphics 405 GPU
- 8GB LPDDR3 RAM
- 128GB eMMC Storage
- USB Type-C, USB 3.0 Type-A,
- Micro HDMI output, 3.5mm headphone jack
- Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.1
- 7,000mAh, Li-ion polymer battery (12 hours battery life claimed, fully charges in 1.5hrs)
- Copper heatpipe and active fan cooling
- Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit, support for Ubuntu
- 18.20 x 10.90 x 1.99cm / 0.5030kg
GPD has designed the Pocket Mini 7 with a thin and light CNC routed aluminium alloy body. Top and bottom screen bezels are just 4.1mm. You can see from the photos that there is a full QWERTY chiclet keyboard fitted in this diminutive laptop’s frame. The designers have still managed to fit a row of useful shortcut keys across the top for audio control and more. Near the bottom edge of the keyboard there’s a trackpoint and left and right mouse button too.
If you are interested in this ‘pocket’ machine, as mentioned in the headline it is now available to purchase. Currently the only way that I know for UK dwellers to get one of these mini laptops is via GearBest. It’s always a bit worrying ordering from overseas and there are obviously questions about warranties for such imported products, so buyer please beware.