Fight to protect your newfound freedom from corporate scavengers.
One of the many games revealed during the May 7 Inside Xbox showcase for Xbox Series X was The Ascent, an isometric RPG from Neon Giant and Curve Digital. Neon Giant is a small team, composed of 11 developers who worked on games like Wolfenstein and Gears of War. Even with a small team, this game is making a big impression and could end up being one of the best Xbox RPGs. Here’s everything we know about The Ascent.
What is The Ascent?
Developed by Neon Giant and published by Curve Digital, The Ascent is set on the world of Veles, where corporations own various districts. Playing as an indentured worker, you go about your daily tasks until a megacorporation known as The Ascent Group collapses. This opens a power vacuum as criminals and other corporations try to seize control.
The Ascent trailers
You can check out the reveal trailer below. We’ll continue to expand this section as more trailers are revealed.
The Ascent gameplay and features
The Ascent is an isometric RPG, with a viewpoint similar to the Diablo games. Here’s what we know about the gameplay so far:
- The Ascent can be played in singleplayer or up to four-player co-op.
- The Ascent runs at 4K 60FPS on Xbox Series X.
- The developers are also experimenting with ray-tracing.
- You can use augmentations to alter your character and playstyle. For example, you can deck your character our with weapons or slim them down for a stealth-based playstyle.
- The world is designed to be roamed freely, with an emphasis on verticality.
- The levels are not randomly generated, just the enemy placements.
- Developer Neon Giant has shared some additional gameplay footage alongside the news The Ascent is coming in 2021.
Is The Ascent a multiplayer game?
The Ascent doesn’t contain any player-vs-player multiplayer modes. However, the story can be played in up to four-player co-op.
Is The Ascent coming to PS5?
No, at least for now, The Ascent is a console exclusive to Xbox platforms. It may come to PS4 and PS5 at a later date.
The Ascent release date
While we don’t have an exact release date right now, The Ascent is scheduled to be available at some point in 2021, after a delay, for Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, and PC. The Ascent is Xbox Series X Optimized, running at 4K 60 FPS. It also supports Smart Delivery, meaning if you buy the game on Xbox One, you’ll get the Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S upgrades at no additional costs. It’s also launching day one into Xbox Game Pass.
Best of both worlds
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate 3 Month Subscription
Xbox Game Pass and Xbox Live Gold in one
Xbox Game Pass gives you access to over 200 games for one monthly fee. Xbox Game Pass Ultimate also adds Xbox Live Gold to the package so you can play online with your friends. Right now, you can purchase a three-month subscription for a great price.