Have you noticed that Facebook is now displaying author information on links shared on Facebook? Recently one of our users saw our Facebook status and asked us how they can add the Facebook author tag on their site. Considering the massive user base of Facebook, this is crucial to any site’s social media strategy. In this article, we will show you how add the Facebook author meta tag in WordPress.
How Does Facebook Author Tag Work?
Once you add the Facebook author tag on your site, it will display your name with a link back to your profile any time your article is shared.
This is great for both single author blogs and multi-author blogs because it bring more exposure to your personal brand.
There are several ways to add the Facebook Author tag on your site. We will show you both the plugin method as well as the code method to add Facebook Author meta tag on your WordPress site.
Add Facebook Author Tag Using Yost WordPress SEO Plugin
You just need to visit SEO » Social page in your WordPress admin and make sure that the box next to ‘Add Open Graph meta data’ option is checked.
The next step is to add your Facebook ID in your WordPress account. Simply visit Users » Your Profile page and enter your Facebook profile URL and click on the save changes button to store your settings.
That’s all, WordPress SEO will now automatically insert Facebook author tag or published by tag when you publish an article. WordPress SEO also allows you to easily add a page title and description for Facebook, and you can even explicitly set Facebook thumbnail for your posts.
Add Facebook Author Tag in WordPress using Code
Since we already use Yoast SEO plugin on our site, it made sense for us to use the above method. However if you want to add Facebook author meta tag on your site without a plugin, then simply add the following code in your site’s <head> section.
<meta property="article:publisher" content="http://facebook.com/yourpagelink" /> <meta property="article:author" content="http://facebook.com/yourprofilelink" />
Make sure to replace the links above with your site’s Facebook page link and your personal profile link.
If you don’t want to edit your theme files, then you can use our Insert Headers and Footers plugin to add this code in your site.
- WordPress Speed Optimization with Custom Social Sharing Icons
- Which is the Best WordPress Photo Gallery Plugin? (Performance + Quality Compared)
- How to Create Custom Permalinks in WordPress
- Over 101 Blogging Resources (Tools & Apps) To Streamline Your Workflow
- How to Install Facebook Remarketing/Retargeting Pixel in WordPress
- 16 Best Free Social Media Icon Sets for WordPress
- How to Add Email Subscriptions for Your WordPress Blog
- How to Install and Setup Yoast Comment Hacks for WordPress
- How to Add a New Post in WordPress and Utilize all the Features
- Seriously helpful SEO tips for WordPress