How to install GIMP image editor in Ubuntu 20.10. Here are the commands to install GIMP 2.10 in Ubuntu 20.10 and Ubuntu 20.04 terminal.
GIMP 2.10.28 is now released. This is a bugfix release, and brings the following major changes:
- Bug fixes for GIMP on Windows.
- The Dashboard dockable now has memory support in OpenBSD.
- Performance improvements for GIMP on macOS Big Sur were applied in our macOS packages since GIMP 2.10.22 as experiments. We felt confident enough to move the code to our main codebase.
- The following plug-ins received fixes: C-source, DICOM, GIF, PS, Sunras, BMP, DDS, PSD, TIFF, Gimpressionist, metadata viewer and several script-fu scripts as well as the script-fu interpreter itself.
- Some accessibility issues in themes were fixed, such as mouse-hover feedback or problematic colors.
- A new Script-Fu function
(dir-make)enables to create directories from scripts.
Downloading GIMP 2.10.28
As usual GIMP 2.10.28 is available on GIMP official website (gimp.org):
- The Linux flatpak has already been published so that anyone who installed it previously should have an update proposed by their software manager (or from terminal:
flatpak update org.gimp.GIMP//stable).
Install GIMP 2.10.28 – Flatpak
This release is available in the official Flathub package. This command will allow you to install GIMP 2.10.28:
sudo apt install flatpak sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
flatpak remote-add --user flathub-beta https://flathub.org/beta-repo/flathub-beta.flatpakrepo
flatpak install --user flathub-beta org.gimp.GIMP
Doing this, you will be able to update to new development builds as soon as they are available/released.
Make a note that Flatpak only allows one visible instance of a same application at once. So if you have installed both (stable and development) releases with Flatpak, it will only show either one or the other.
To switch the visible branch, run the following commands:
flatpak make-current --user org.gimp.GIMP beta
flatpak make-current --user org.gimp.GIMP stable
You can also install GIMP 2.10.28 via PPA in Ubuntu:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/gimp
sudo apt install gimp gegl