The SolarMovie add-on is one of the biggest movie streaming resources in the Kodi ecosystem. With it you can stream everything from the latest hits to the most popular films in every genre, many of which are presented in HD quality. It’s easy to install SolarMovie, as well. Just follow the guide below and you’ll gain access to some of the best movie streams in the world.
For those who don’t know it Kodi is an open-source media center app that provides a versatile set of tools to organize and stream videos of all kinds. Kodi’s third party add-ons give the software even more power. Add-ons draw from sources across the web, bringing everything from live sports to blockbuster movies, popular TV series, even niche content like stand-up comedy or old kung fu films. With Kodi and the right add-ons, you can sit and watch the best movies in the world without having to leave your couch.
Before Using Kodi, Get a Good VPN
Kodi is open-source, free, and legal to use. Unofficial add-ons are neither endorsed nor verified by the Kodi team, however, which can put them in murky territory. Content rights holders have started cracking down on potential pirate videos, which has led to ISPs start throttling Kodi traffic and send out copyright infringement notices to streaming users.
The good news is that it’s easy to protect yourself against these threats by using a virtual private network. VPNs create a private tunnel between your computer and the internet, encrypting everything to make it unreadable to third parties. ISPs can’t tell what you’re streaming, hackers can’t crack your information, and government agencies can’t determine which websites you’re visiting. With a VPN you can stream all the best films from SolarMovie and every other Kodi add-on. All you have to do is choose a reliable VPN service and enjoy.
In addition to online privacy, VPNs also include the following benefits:
- Watch geo-restricted video streams on Netflix, HBO Go, BBC iPlayer, and more.
- Stop websites, ISPs, and government agencies from tracking your activity.
- Protect your data while traveling and using public Wi-Fi.
- Unblock censored websites and region blocked content.
Evaluating the Best VPN for Kodi
To get the best VPN for Kodi streams you have to sift through a ton of information. Every VPN service has speed ratings to consider, encryption protocols to compare, privacy policies to research, and more. It’s confusing from the get-go, which is why we simplified the process for you. Below is our recommended best VPN for Kodi. We made our selection using the following criteria to ensure you have access to a fast, private, and anonymous VPN that will keep you safe every time you stream a movie.
- Fast downloads – If you’re streaming a lot of movies, speed matters more than anything. VPNs can be a little slower than an unencrypted internet connection, so you need a service that compensates by running incredibly fast servers.
- Zero-logging policy – You can’t stay safe if your VPN keeps traffic logs. Stored data can be seized by government agencies or other third parties, putting your privacy at risk. The best VPNs have a strict zero-logging policy to ensure your data doesn’t stick around.
- Good reputation – When you use a VPN, you’re trusting the company with all of your data. It’s impossible to tell what the company does with that information, which is why a strong reputation and a high level of trust are crucial.
- No bandwidth restrictions – Some VPNs put a cap on the bandwidth you can use during a specified amount of time. If you want to stream Kodi movies, you’ll need unlimited bandwidth, no exceptions.
- Unmonitored traffic – It’s surprisingly common to see VPNs restrict things like P2P networks and torrent downloads. Kodi add-ons can use either of these technologies to stream movies. If you can’t access P2P or torrent files, your entertainment options drop to zero.
- Software and app compatibility – Kodi runs on a wide variety of devices, including tablets and smartphones. To use your VPN with Kodi, you have to run custom software on the same device. Always make sure your VPN has an array of downloads for all modern platforms.
Best VPN for Kodi: IPVanish
IPVanish has all the right features to help you get the most out of Kodi: fast speeds, strong privacy policies, excellent encryption, and a huge network of over 850 servers in 60 different countries, each perfectly tuned for anonymous streaming. With IPVanish you’ll have full access to all of Kodi’s amazing add-ons and can use them without having to worry about ISP throttling. Security features built into the IPVanish experience include DNS leak protection and an automatic kill switch, two technologies that help keep your identity and real location hidden. Data sent from your device is secured with 256-bit AES encryption to make it unreadable to third parties, and IPVanish’s zero-logging policy on all traffic ensures no one can get their hands on that data once it leaves their servers.
When it comes to HD or 4K video streams, IPVanish also has you covered. Fast servers deliver all the speed you need, and because you have unlimited bandwidth there’s no reason to stop watching movies. Unmonitored traffic policies allow both P2P networks and torrent downloads, as well, so you can use every Kodi add-on without restriction. With IPVanish, all you have to do is sign up, grab a snack, and start streaming.
IPVanish’s best features include:
- Unlimited bandwidth, no speed caps, and no restrictions on torrent traffic or P2P networks.
- Easy to use apps for modern devices, including Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS.
- Extremely fast servers for picture perfect HD and 4K video streams through Kodi.
- Download torrents with full privacy and anonymity.
IPVanish offers a 7-day money back guarantee which means you have a week to test it risk-free. Please note that Addictive Tips readers can save a massive 60% here on the IPVanish annual plan, taking the monthly price down to only $4.87/mo.
How to Install Kodi Add-ons
Kodi add-ons are usually packaged into repositories, large zip files hosted and maintained by an external source. This helps with discovery as well as keeping add-ons up to date, as you won’t have to go chasing down dozens of files every time something is changed. There are several ways of installing add-ons, but we prefer the “external sources” method, as it keeps things tidy and is much easier to use on mobile and TV box devices.
Before you can add repository sources, you’ll need to change an option in the Kodi interface:
- Open Kodi and click on the gear icon to enter the System menu.
- Go to System Settings > Add-ons
- Toggle the slider next to the “Unknown sources” option.
- Accept the warning message that pops up.
Now that Kodi is ready to go, your first task is to find a repository source URL. Add the link to Kodi’s file manager to automatically download and install the repo. Next, go into the repository and choose which add-ons you’d like to install. The process can be confusing at first, but once you get the hang of it you’ll be adding repositories in your sleep.
Note: The SolarMovie add-on links to a variety of constantly changing sources, making it impossible to verify the integrity and legality of each one. AddictiveTips does not condone or encourage any violation of copyright restrictions. Please consider the law, victims, and risks of piracy before accessing copyrighted material without permission.
How to Install the SolarMovie Add-on for Kodi
SolarMovie is available through a number of popular repositories, including SuperRepo and Noobsandnerds, which you might already have installed. These repos are generally good at keeping SolarMovie up to date. There’s an official repository maintained by part of the SolarMovie team, however, which makes it a much better source.
Follow the instructions below to install the Dandy Media repo and SolarMovie. If you don’t want to use that repo or you already have it installed, skip to step 13.
- Open Kodi on your local device.
- Click on the gear icon to enter the System menu.
- Go to File Manager > Add Source (you may need to click the double-dot to move to the top of the directory)
- Type in the following URL exactly as it appears: http://dandymedia.club/repo/
- Name the new repository “.dandy”
- Click “OK”.
- Go back to the Kodi main menu.
- Select “Add-ons”
- Click the open box icon at the top of the menu bar.
- Choose “Install from Zip File”
- Select “.dandy”
- Install the file marked “repository.dandymedia.zip”
- Go back to the Add-ons menu and click the open box icon again.
- Choose “Install from repository”
- Find and click “Dandymedia Repository”
- Scroll down and select “SolarMovie”
- When the add-on installation completes, you can access SolarMovie from the main menu.
Using the SolarMovie Add-on
SolarMovie is an add-on for Kodi that directly accesses content provided by SolarMoviez.to. The website, which appears under different domains at different times, pulls together a huge variety of movie and TV sources for fast and easy access to all the best streaming content around. You don’t have to sign up for an account or enter any personal details, just pick a movie and start watching.
The SolarMovie add-on and companion website allows you to find and stream content based on a variety of criteria. If you’re not sure what you want to watch, just check out one of the categories:
- Browse by genre – Check out movies from the most popular genres, including action, sci-fi, mystery, romance, psychological, fantasy, documentary, and over two dozen more.
- Watch by country – Sort movies by their country or area of origin, including Korea, China, France, India, the U.S., and Japan.
- Recently added – Find out what’s new on the site, everything from new movie releases to old content making a debut.
- Movies by year – Got a favorite decade of movie releases? Sort through the list and let the binge watching begin.
- Most popular – What’s everyone watching? Find out with a quick click and see if there’s something you like.
- Top IMDb – Watch the highest rated movies as ranked by users on IMDB.
- TV series – Browse a massive collection of TV shows grouped by series.
- Featured movies – The best movies as chosen by the SolarMovie team.
Why is SolarMovie Not Working?
Since mid-2016 the team behind the SolarMovie website has had a difficult time keeping the site and the service online. Frequent outages can occur without warning, and the website appears and disappears under new domains almost every week. When the movies do vanish, there’s very little indication when they will reappear.
If you can’t access streams through the Kodi add-on, it likely means the content has moved to a new domain and the add-on hasn’t been updated yet. Check a SolarMovie website and you should be able to access it from there. If not, it simply means the service is temporarily unavailable. SolarMovie has proven resilient to recent Kodi add-on takedowns, but it has suffered from some reliability issues in recent months.
What Else Can You Do with the Dandy Media Repo?
SolarMovie is part of the DandyMedia repository, a collection of popular and niche content maintained by the DandyMedia team. You’ll find over 40 different video add-ons packaged in the repo, along with a couple of music extensions that deliver today’s top hits. If you can’t find what you’re looking for in SolarMovie, chances are one of the other add-ons will have something that suits your tastes.
- 1080p Movies – Like the name suggests, streaming movies presented in full HD!
- Cartoons – Dandy Media has nearly half a dozen channels dedicated to cartoons, both retro content and newer shows kids will love.
- Curated movie channels – Dandy’s biggest feature is movies, and you’ll find no fewer than a dozen curated channels that focus on different styles, tastes, sources, and origins.
- Documentaries – Get streaming documentaries and video lectures delivered right to your screen.
- Kids content – TV shows for tots as well as learning programs for the young ones.
- Physicality – Fitness videos to help you stay in shape. Don’t let all these awesome movies ruin your figure!
Alternatives to the SolarMovie Add-on
SolarMovie has a ton of streaming content, enough to keep you busy for months on end. Sometimes you might not find the film you’re looking for, however, or maybe the SolarMovie site is having issues staying online. Either way, the Kodi community has got you covered with tons of alternatives. Some of the best add-ons grab unique content from around the web, delivering incredible niche content, popular films, fan-favorite TV shows, and more. Check out the list of Kodi add-ons below to extend your entertainment options indefinitely.
- Best Kodi Add-ons for Movies – Looking for the best movie resources that still work in 2017? We’ve got a full list of add-ons and repositories ready to go!
- Best Add-ons for 4K and HD Movies – If high quality movies is your thing, this collection will make sure you always have something good to watch.
- Alternatives to 123Movies Add-on – When one of the top movie add-ons disappears, we start looking for the best replacements.
- Alternatives to TVAddons Fusion – The best Kodi add-on resource has vanished, but these alternatives can help you get by.
- Best Kodi Add-ons for Live TV – Get access to broadcast channels and live TV shows through the Kodi interface.
Is it Safe to Install SolarMovie?
Kodi itself is absolutely safe to use. The software is free and open-source and has been used by hundreds of thousands of people since its launch in the early 2000s. When you start looking for unofficial add-ons, however, you can run into some problems. Third party content isn’t verified by Kodi’s core team. Some extensions have been found linking to pirated content or stuffed with malicious code. It’s rare, but it does happen, and it’s worth taking a few precautions to make sure you stay safe.
The best thing you can do to stay safe on Kodi is to stick to reputable repositories. Repo maintainers work to make sure their content is free from malware and viruses, letting you install add-ons without worry. You should also keep your firewall, anti-virus software, and VPN active at all times, just to be on the safe side.
We download and verify all add-ons before featuring them in our articles. If they’re on the list, they were clean and ready to use as the time of writing. SolarMovie is a reliable add-on, as is DandyMedia’s repository. They’re both safe to install and safe to use, so you’re free to grab them and start streaming!