How to install Wine on Linux Ubuntu. Wine 2.17 brings better support for grayscale mode in DirectWrite and virtual memory compatibility improvements. It also brings various bug fixes.
Wine 2.17 Features:
- Better support for grayscale mode in DirectWrite.
- Per-application StartupWMClass in desktop files.
- Virtual memory compatibility improvements.
- Palette handling improvements in WindowsCodecs.
- Reply messages improvements in WebServices.
- Various bug fixes.
Bugs fixed in 2.17 (total 20):
- 12185 Before You Know It crashes
- 19177 Gorky-17 does not start in Direct3D HAL (SW Renderer is OK)
- 29958 UIRibbon Framework not implemented: 926749fa-2615-4987-8845-c33e65f2b957
- 38622 gdiplus should return PixelFormat32bppARGB instead of PixelFormat8bppIndexed for a grayscale PNG file
- 39885 Cannot allocate more than 32gb of memory
- 41370 TTM_GETCURRENTTOOL returns always FALSE when send from TTN_NEEDTEXT handler.
- 41827 Wrong specular rendering with some applications
- 42427 Steam application claims no internet connection
- 43046 Multiple apps need api-ms-win-crt-stdio-l1-1-0.dll.__stdio_common_vfprintf_s (Civilization VI, Mafia 3, SketchBook)
- 43197 5Plus: Print dialog crashes with illegal floating point operation
- 43290 MyLifeOrganized crashes when mousing over tabs
- 43319 Steam Store/Uplay/Epic Games Launcher no longer display text in Windows 7 mode (libcef applications)
- 43476 Skyrim hardware detection spinlocks with CSMT enabled
- 43519 Path of Exile: Corrupt/flickering UI textures after ~1 minute of gameplay
- 43577 unit test: DBGrid inplace editor dropdown does not work and worked on version 2.0.2
- 43586 Dead Space: no shadows in game
- 43649 dbgeng stub DebugCreateEx causes jadesentinel crash in JADE thin client
- 43658 Text in Deletion Confirmation MsgBox has wrong background colour
- 43668 Terris Universal Remote UFB 234 – update database does not work
- 43685 Many games fail to start, or run without audio
Install Wine 2.17 In Ubuntu 16.04
Run the following commands in Terminal to install Wine 2.17 In Ubuntu 16.04:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-add-repository https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main'
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
sudo apt-key add Release.key
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-devel
Please note the Ubuntu version code name in the line “sudo apt-add-repository ‘deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main’”.
How To Install Wine 2.17 On Linux Ubuntu originally posted on Source Digit – Latest Technology, Gadgets & Gizmos.