One of the coolest aspects of Apple’s AirPods, AirPods Pro, and AirPods Max is how easy they are to find them if you lose them. It’s a benefit of being an embedded user in the Apple ecosystem. You can locate them from an Apple device such as an iPhone, iPad, or Mac, or you can use the web from any device. It’s incredibly easy and takes mere seconds. So, if you misplaced your headphones or think they’ve been swiped, have no fear.
What is required to find missing AirPods or AirPods Pro?
You need an iPhone or iPad running the latest version of iOS or iPadOS, along with the FindMy app running on your phone or tablet. Or, you could use a Mac instead of an iOS device. There’s also icloud.com on the web.
How to locate your missing AirPods or AirPods Pro
It’s easy. Just follow these steps:
- Launch the FindMy app on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac.
- Or, you can log in to icloud.com to find your device.
- You can use the map to find the last known location.
- Select the Devices tab. This will show all the devices you have registered.
- Find your AirPods or AirPods Pro or AirPods Max.
- If the earbuds are in Bluetooth range, hit ‘Play Sound’ to emit an alarm.
- You can then listen for your wireless earbuds and find them that way.
What if your AirPods or AirPods Pro just are offline?
If your AirPods, AirPods Pro, or AirPods Max are offline or out of range or need to charge, you might see their last known location in the Find My app, or you might see “No location found” or “Offline.” You can’t play a sound to find them, but you might be able to get directions to the location where they were last connected. If they come online again, you can get a notification on your iPhone or iPad, or Mac that you use with them.
Can you get an alert if you leave your AirPods or AirPods Pro behind?
If you have an iPhone 12 or later, you can set up alerts so that, if you leave your AirPods (third generation), AirPods Pro, or AirPods Max behind, you will be notified.
- Open the Find My app.
- Go to the Devices tab, and choose your AirPods.
- Under Notifications, tap Notify When Left Behind.