You know how you can voice shop with Alexa, by simply asking the assistant to add things to your Amazon cart? Well, you can do that with Google Assistant, too, only it will add items to your Walmart cart. This is all thanks to a “Walmart Voice Order” feature that Google Assistant offers.
This partnership allows you to easily voice shop at Walmart through a Google Assistant-enabled device, whether that’s your phone, smart display, or speaker.
And there’s minimal setup required to get started.
How to voice shop at Walmart using Google Assistant
Link your Walmart and Google Assistant accounts
Go to this Walmart skill and tap or click the “link” button to connect your online Walmart account to your Google Assistant account. You’ll need to already be signed in to your Google account that you use Assistant with, and then once you tap “link”, you will be prompted to sign in to your Walmart account.
From there, the two accounts will be connected, and you can get started using the Walmart Voice Order feature.
- To get started, simply say “Ok Google, talk to Walmart.”
- Once prompted, tap the link to connect and sign in to your Walmart account.
- Download the Google Assistant app from the app store.
- Sign in with a Gmail account.
- Ask your assistant to “Talk to Walmart.”
- Once prompted, tap the link to sign in to your Walmart account.
Using Walmart Voice Order
To activate the Walmart Voice Order feature, say to your Google Assistant device, “Hey Google, talk to Walmart“. Google Assistant will then be able to add items directly to your virtual Walmart shopping cart. You can then say something like, “Add milk to my cart”. Walmart said it’ll make sure to learn the brands you love.
Walmart can even add the specific milk you regularly buy. So, instead of saying “one gallon of 1 per cent Great Value organic milk” every time to Walmart via your Google Assistant device, you can just say “milk”. Easy! You’re only able to order grocery items, but there are more than 100,000 grocery items available.
Here are some example commands you can say:
- “Ok Google, tell Walmart to add cereal to my cart.”
- “Ok Google, what’s in my cart?”
- “Ok Google, tell Walmart to add 4 more bananas.”
- “Ok Google, tell Walmart I don’t want bananas anymore.”
- “Ok Google, ask Walmart if they sell cookie butter.”
- “Ok Google, ask Walmart ‘How much is milk?’”
- “Ok Google, can I apply a promo code?”
- “Ok Google, where do I pick up my order?”
- “Ok Google, what time can I pick up my order?
Check out and delivery
Google Assistant works with Walmart Grocery Pickup and Delivery. But you’ll need to go to your online Walmart account, either on the web or through the Walmart app, to cash out and complete your purchase.
Who can voice shop at Walmart?
The Walmart Voice Order feature began rolling out in the US in 2019. The feature can be used on any Google Assistant-enabled device.
Below is a list of supported devices.
- Android 6.0+ watches
- Android 6.0+ TVs
- Google Home
- Android 5.0+ phones
- iOS 10.0+ devices
- Smart Displays
- Android 6.0+ tablets
Want to know more?
Check out Walmart’s blog post for more details.