How to manage clipboard in Linux Ubuntu? Here is how to install CopyQ Clipboard Manager, the best clipboard manager for Ubuntu Linux Systems.
CopyQ Ubuntu Clipboard Manager
CopyQ Ubuntu clipboard manager is advanced clipboard manager with editing and scripting features.
CopyQ monitors system clipboard and saves its content in customized tabs. Saved clipboard can be later copied and pasted directly into any application.
- Support for Linux, Windows and OS X 10.9+
- Store text, HTML, images or any other custom formats
- Quickly browse and filter items in clipboard history
- Sort, create, edit, remove, copy/paste, drag’n’drop items in tabs
- Add notes or tags to items
- System-wide shortcuts with customizable commands
- Paste items with shortcut or from tray or main window
- Fully customizable appearance
- Advanced command-line interface and scripting
- Ignore clipboard copied from some windows or containing some text
- Support for simple Vim-like editor and shortcuts
- Many more features
Install Copyq 3.13.0 in Ubuntu
Run the following commands in terminal to install Copyq 3.13.0 in Ubuntu:
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get update
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:hluk/copyq
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install copyq
Also note that the PPA can be added to your system manually by executing the lines below in terminal and adding them to your system’s software sources.
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/hluk/copyq/ubuntu focal main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/hluk/copyq/ubuntu focal main
Note that “eoan” will be changed as per the Ubuntu version. For Ubuntu 19.10, replace it with eoan and so on.
Install Dependencies – Ubuntu
sudo apt install git cmake
sudo apt install qtbase5-private-dev
sudo apt install qtscript5-dev
sudo apt install qttools5-dev
sudo apt install qttools5-dev-tools
sudo apt install libqt5svg5-dev
sudo apt install libqt5x11extras5-dev
sudo apt install libxfixes-dev
sudo apt install libxtst-dev
sudo apt install libqt5svg5
To start the application double-click the program icon or run
The list with clipboard history is accessible by clicking on system tray icon or running
Copying text or image to clipboard will create new item in the list.
Selected items can be:
- edited (
- removed (
- sorted (
- moved around (with mouse or
- copied back to clipboard (
- pasted to previously active window (
All items will be restored when application is started next time.
To exit the application select Exit from tray menu or press
Ctrl-Q keys in the application window.