How to install KeePassXC in Ubuntu via PPA. KeePassXC Password Manager 2.4.2 for Linux Ubuntu via the official KeePassXC PPA can be installed on Linux Ubuntu Systems. The latest release of KeePassXC brings a memory wiping feature to reduce the risk of secrets.
KeePassXC is a community fork of KeePassX, the cross-platform port of KeePass for Windows. Every feature works cross-platform and was thoroughly tested on multiple systems to provide users with the same look and feel on every supported operating system. This includes the beloved Auto-Type feature.
The complete database is always encrypted with the industry-standard AES (alias Rijndael) encryption algorithm using a 256 bit key. KeePassXC uses a database format that is compatible with KeePass Password Safe. Your wallet works offline and requires no Internet connection.
KeePassXC Password Manager 2.4.2
KeePassXC 2.4.2, the second maintenance release of the 2.4 series. This release fixes several bugs and introduces a memory wiping feature that will reduce the risk of secrets remaining in memory after a database is locked or being swapped to disk. Combined with the existing restrictions on memory access by non-administrators, this feature increases the security of KeePassXC.
Other notable changes are fixes to entry editing, prevention of infinite save loops, ability to open non-http url’s, and preventing data loss when opening a database with duplicated attachment binaries.
Here is the full changelog for KeePassXC 2.4.2:
- Improve resilience against memory attacks – overwrite memory before free [#3020]
- Prevent infinite save loop when location is unavailable [#3026]
- Attempt to fix quitting application when shutdown or logout issued [#3199]
- Support merging database custom data [#3002]
- Fix opening URL’s with non-http schemes [#3153]
- Fix data loss due to not reading all database attachments if duplicates exist [#3180]
- Fix entry context menu disabling when using keyboard navigation [#3199]
- Fix behaviors when canceling an entry edit [#3199]
- Fix processing of tray icon click and doubleclick [#3112]
- Update group in preview widget when focused [#3199]
- Prefer DuckDuckGo service over direct icon download (increases resolution) [#2996]
- Remove apply button in application settings [#3019]
- Use winqtdeploy on Windows to correct deployment issues [#3025]
- Don’t mark entry edit as modified when attribute selection changes [#3041]
- Use console code page CP_UTF8 on Windows if supported [#3050]
- Snap: Fix locking database with session lock [#3046]
- Snap: Fix theming across Linux distributions [#3057]
- Snap: Use SNAP_USER_COMMON and SNAP_USER_DATA directories [#3131]
- KeeShare: Automatically enable WITH_XC_KEESHARE_SECURE if quazip is found [#3088]
- macOS: Fix toolbar text when in dark mode [#2998]
- macOS: Lock database on switching user [#3097]
- macOS: Fix global Auto-Type when the database is locked [#3138]
- Browser: Close popups when database is locked [#3093]
- Browser: Add tests [#3016]
- Browser: Don’t create default group if custom group is enabled [#3127]
Install KeePass Password Manager
Run the following commands in terminal to install the KeePass password manager on Linux Ubuntu:
sudo apt-get update
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:phoerious/keepassxc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install keepassxc