Microsoft released a new update for its Windows 10 operating system today under KB3199209. If you run the release version of windows 10 and have installed the Anniversary Update already, then you may see the new update when you run a check for updates on the operating system the next time.
The update’s full title is Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3199209), at least on 64-bit versions of Windows.
While it installs just fine, and there is no restart either, it lacks any information whatsoever other than its Knowledgebase ID and title.
Update: Microsoft published information more than ten hours after the update rolled out. It is a Servicing stack update for Windows 10 Version 1607: October 18, 2016 which improves the stability of the servicing stack.
If you try to open the support article on the Microsoft website, you get a “try searching for what you need. This page does not exist” error message.
I have complained about that issue before: Microsoft has the habit of releasing updates for its operating systems before it publishes the support articles.
While that is not a problem for users who install any update the company puts out, it is highly problematic for users and administrators who want to know what an update is all about.
Since there is no way of finding out what an update does, it is virtually impossible to ensure that it won’t have a negative effect on a computer system.
While you can install it and hope for the best, you cannot possible test all programs and features on a Windows 10 machine after installing the update to make sure it did not take down any functionality or modify it.
So what is the KB3199209 update for Windows 10 changing? We don’t know at this point in time, and won’t know until Microsoft publishes that support page.
Some users noticed that Windows Defender’s real-time protection has been enabled after running the update, even with third-party antivirus software running on the system.
We will update the article once we know more (which will probably be when Microsoft publishes the support page.
Now You: How do you handle Windows updates? Do you research each update before you install it?
The post KB3199209 yet another Windows 10 patch without information appeared first on gHacks Technology News.
- Windows 7: Microsoft waves an early goodbye
- Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update Is Officially Out – What’s New?
- How To Update Windows Subsystem For Linux On Windows 10?
- What Is The Microsoft – WPD – 2/22/2016 Update On Windows 10?
- How To Tell If Windows 10 Is A Fresh Install Or An Upgrade
- Microsoft offers additional Controls in upcoming edition of Windows 10 Creators Update
- Windows 10 update KB 3213986 triggers System Restore error 0x80070091
- Microsoft starts compiling the first Windows 10 ‘Redstone 3’ builds
- Time to upgrade those Windows 10 version 1507 machines
- Windows 10 Creators Update: Blue Light mode