KB4020001 and KB4020002 are two new updates for Windows 10 version 1703 (Creators Update) that Microsoft released today.
These two updates are released on Microsoft’s Update Catalog website right now, and will not be made available through Windows Update.
Both updates are listed as compatibility updates for Windows 10 Version 1703.
Note: To make this clearer: these are dynamic updates and not updates that most users will come into contact with directly. They may be added to Windows 10 ISO images or installation sources, and are also provided during installation when the operating system runs an update check.
KB4020001 and KB4020002
- KB4020001 — Compatibility update for upgrading to and recovering Windows 10 Version 1703: April 25, 2017
- KB4020002 — Compatibility update for upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1703: April 25, 2017
KB4020001 makes “improvements to ease the upgrade and recovery experience to Windows 10 Version 1703”, KB4020002 changes “the upgrade experience to Windows 10 Version 1703.
Both updates are listed as critical updates, and offered as CAB files right now on the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
Windows 10 version 1703 users who want to download the updates right now may do so with a click on the following links:
- Dynamic Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 (KB4020001) for 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 10 [link]
- Dynamic Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 (KB4020002) for 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 10 [link]
The installation of updates that are offered as CAB files is not complicated, but it is not as easy as double-clicking on the patch file in Windows. Note that KB4020002 cannot be installed this way. It replaces two files in the source folder, so simply unpack the files and put them in the folder of the ISO.
- Tap on the Windows-key, type cmd.exe, hold down the Shift-key and the Ctrl-key, and hit the Enter-key to launch an elevated command prompt.
- The command DISM.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:PATHTOCAB installs the cab update on the system. Make sure you replace PATHTOCAB with the full path and file name of the Cab file.
If you have downloaded the cab files to C:UsersMartinDownloads for instance, you’d install the first cab file in the following way: DISM.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:c:UsersMartinDownloadswindows10.0-kb4020001-x64_c22bae1813b11e357438fd9acf77a6c9c9811441.cab
The update is installed afterwards, and will be listed as one of the updates installed on the Windows machine. You can remove it again, either by opening the list of installed updates and selecting uninstall, or by running the uninstall command from the command line instead.
While the updates are listed as critical, it is probably safe to say that there is no rush in installing those right away. Microsoft will make them available through Windows Update as well, and if the company keeps the critical rating for those non-security updates, will be installed automatically on most user systems when that happens. (via Deskmodder)
The post KB4020001 and KB4020002 for Windows 10 1703 released appeared first on gHacks Technology News.