The latest KDE Plasma 5.10.5 is available for Kubuntu 17.04 “Zesty Zapus” at 24 August 2017. It’s available via Kubuntu Backports PPA. For your information, the latest Plasma itself released at 22 August. Now, if you’re a Kubuntu 17.04 user, you can upgrade your Plasma either fully or just partially for some components you like! Read the simple instructions below.
- This 5.10.5 is a bugfix update to previous release.
- You can do either full upgrade (the whole system) or just partial upgrade (particular components only) if you wish.
- Added new translations and fixes.
- Fixed a Plasma Desktop crash when grouping certain apps on taskbar.
- Fixed OSD included in desktop grid view.
- Fixed Plasma Discover (the KDE’s software center) in many ways, including URL handling.
To do complete upgrade to the latest KDE Plasma 5.10.5, on Kubuntu 17.04 do these commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
sudo apt update
ssudo apt full-upgrade
The PPA of Kubuntu Backports is located at
Partial Upgrade Commands
If you need to upgrade just some components of KDE, such as Plasma Discover only, or KWin only, follow command examples below:
Find the package name:
apt-cache search discover
apt-cache search kde | grep plasma
apt-cache search gwenview
See the version changes:
apt-cache policy plasma-discover
This should says the latest version (upper position) is 5.10.5.
Upgrade the Plasma Discover:
sudo apt-get install plasma-discover
However, to remove the PPA repo, in case you don’t need it anymore, do these:
sudo apt-add-repository –remove ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
sudo apt-get update
- Upgrade size is around 470MB (warning, it’s huge!) on a freshly installed Kubuntu 17.04.
- Before upgrading, read the full list of being-upgraded packages + their version changes in this TXT file full-upgrade.txt.
- Use option -V to see the list of version changes.
- https://www.kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.10.4-5.10.5-changelog.php (full changelog for all components)