The new release is based on Debian 9.2. Like Devuan Linux, antiX is one of the systemd-free Linux distributions.
AntiX-17 supports both 32-bit and 64-bit processors which is not surprising because it focuses on supporting older hardware. It can support Pentium III computers with a minimum 256 MB RAM requirement. The installer needs a minimum of 2.7 GB hard drive space to run.
You can either install it on a hard disk or run live from an encrypted stick with persistence and remaster. It can be also used as a fast-booting rescue CD
antiX comes in 4 flavors:
- ”’antiX-full”’ (c800MB) -4 windows managers – IceWM (default), Fluxbox, jwm and herbstluftwm plus full LibreOffice suite.
- ”’antiX-base”’ (c620MB) -4 windows managers – IceWM (default), Fluxbox, jwm and herbstluftwm.
- ”’antiX-core”’ (c310MB) – no X, but should support most wireless adapters.
- ”’antiX-net”’ (c150MB) – no X. Just enough to get you connected (wired) and ready to build.”
New features in AntiX-17 Heather Heyer
Highlights of the new release are:
- Live Bootloaders: antiX distro makes provision for legacy, 32-bit UEFI and 64-bit UEFI live bootloaders. The bootloaders provide popup menus that could be easily customized. Unlike other distros, it provides an “F8 Save” feature that saves your choices after reboots.
- The distro is Debian Stretch based and comes without systemd and libsystemd0
- udev has been replaced with eudev 3.2-4
- Video player: gnome-mplayer
- Introduced smtube for playing YouTube videos without using browser
- streamlight-antix lets you streamline videos with little RAM usage
- Convert video and audio files using winff and asunder
- You can update kernel when running live using live-kernel-updater
antiX-17 also contains in-house apps in its repos. You have 1-to-1-voice-antix that lets voice chats between two pcs through an encrypted mumble. It also includes a remote access help application, 1-to-1-assistance-antix as well as ssh-conduit for remote resources through an ssh encrypted connection.
Check out what’s new on antiX in the video below. If you like Linux videos, do subscribe to our YouTube channel.
Download any of the 4 “Flavours” of antiX-17 for both 32-bit and 64-bit processors from the link below:
Do share your experience in the comment box below if you have tried antiX-17.