Pokémon Go will be unleashing new Pokémon on December 12, 2016, as well as turning Sprint, and perhaps Starbucks stores into PokéStops and Gyms. So what should you do?
Pokémon Go wants to keep going and that means following up on its first three events with its first promotions. What kind of promotions? Starting today, Sprint, Boost, and Radio Shack stores are becoming PokéStops or Gyms, and Starbucks might just follow suit as soon as tomorrow. Oh, yeah, and new Pokémon are coming December 12!
Lolyup! Coming December 12:
— Pokémon (@Pokemon) December 7, 2016
Legendaries? Gen 2? What does that mean?
They’re not saying yet. Code for 100 new-to-Go Pokémon Gen 2 has been in the app for a while, so it very well could be the second coming. It’s also possible that Pokémon Go wants to save them for the new year, and so we’ll see some of the legendaries instead, like the birds or Mewtwo.
Gen 2 is a good guess, though, since it would give people a lot to hunt over the holiday season.
What’s the deal with Sprint?
From Pokémon Go:
[We] are thrilled to announce that we are working with Sprint to create a special Pokémon GO experience at over 10,500 Sprint locations around the United States. As part of this collaboration, Sprint, Boost Mobile, and Sprint at RadioShack stores will become PokéStops and Gyms, giving you even more places to stock up on Poké Balls and Razz Berries and to battle your friends. Sprint locations will also feature in-store charging stations to keep your Pokémon GO sessions going even longer. Sprint also brings a great network and an unlimited data plan to support your search for Pokémon no matter where they are hiding.
That’s rumored for tomorrow, with a similar type of deal, and an all-new, all-tasty Pokémon Frappuccino. I’ll update as soon as it’s official.
Will this be international or U.S.-only?
U.S.-only for Sprint, of course. We’ll have to wait and see for Starbucks!
So, way more PokéStops and Gyms? And in warm places?
Way, way more. And for anyone who lives in a place where winter means cold temperatures, snow, and ice, going into a store, especially a Starbucks, will be welcome respite.
- Best way to win battles and conquer gyms in Pokémon Go
- How to play Pokémon Go In winter without freezing
What should I do now?
Save your items! If Gen 2 is coming next week, you’ll want plenty of balls to catch them, Stardust to power them, and candy to evolve them!
Also, your Lures, so you can drop them while sipping your Starbux and bring the Pokémon to you!
What candy should I save?
- Zubat, so you can evolve Golbat into Crobat
- Onix, so you can evolve into Steelix
- Scyther, so you can evolve into Scizor
- Horsea, so you can evolve Seadra into Kingdra.
- Porygon, so you can evolve into Porygon2
- Chansey, so you can evolve into Blissey
- Oddish, so you can evolve Gloom into Bellossom (split from Vile Plume)
- Poliwag, so you can evolve Poliwhirl into Politoed (split from Poliwrath)
- Slowpoke, so you can evolve into Slowking (split from Slowbro)
- Eevee, so you can evolve into Umbreon or Espeon (split from Vaporeon, Flareon, and Jolteon)
There will also be some pre-evolutions you won’t need candy for, but could help you get candy for the higher evolutions:
- Pichu, which can evolve into Pikachu
- Cleffa, which can evolve into Clafairy
- Igglybuff, which can evolve into Jigglypuff
- Tyrogue, which can evolve into Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, or the Gen 2 Hitmontop
- Smoochum, which can evolve into Jynx
- Elekid, which can evolve into Electabuzz
- Magby, which can evolve into Magmar
Anything else we need to know?
There’ll likely be a Christmas/Holiday event of some sort, similar to the Halloween (double candy) and Thanksgiving (double XP and Stardust) events. Stay tuned for details!