It’s been discovered recently that game developer Ubisoft filed a trademark application to re-register a license for the Splinter Cell series. This has led to speculation Ubisoft might announce a new Splinter Cell game next week at E3 2017.
The trademark filing for what appears to be a new Splinter Cell game was spotted on the trademark listing website Justia. The filing was found under the entertainment section and was submitted on May 15.
There’s currently no information as to what this new entry to the franchise will be called, as the trademark filing only mentions Splinter Cell. However, the filing does describe it would provide “interactive multiplayer computer games” and also includes entertainment services such as television programs and films.
The last entry in the Tom Clancy franchise was 2013’s Splinter Cell: Blacklist, which was made available for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii U and Windows PC. Since then, the Splinter Cell series was put on hiatus, and Ubisoft continued releasing games under the Tom Clancy’s brand like Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon and The Division.
The last time that a new Splinter Cell game was rumored was in August 2016. A NeoGAF user by the name of Crossing Eden said a reliable source told him Ubisoft was working on a new Splinter Cell game. He also said Michael Ironside, the voice actor for Sam Fisher in the previous games, will be back.
Crossing Eden has a proven track record when it comes to Ubisoft leaks, Windows Central noted. It’s possible Ubisoft was secretly working on the game at the time so that it could make a more impactful announcement at this year’s E3 conference.
Ubisoft has not yet commented on the recently discovered trademark filing, nor has confirmed any plans to revive the “Splinter Cell” franchise. What we do know for sure is that Ubisoft will be attending E3 2017 and has scheduled a press conference for Monday at 4 p.m. EDT.
Ubisoft even published a short video for the upcoming event showing some of the upcoming titles that will be discussed at E3 2017. Games confirmed to make an appearance at the event so far are South Park: The Fractured But Whole, Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2.
The teaser video published by Ubisoft had “footage removed,” which will be shown at E3 2017. One of the titles will be announced by Yves Guillemot, the founder of Ubisoft. Other games rumored to make an appearance at the event include the still-unannounced Assassin’s Creed: Origins and the Nintendo Switch exclusive Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle.
Last month, Ubisoft also said it will release new entries in “three established franchises” over the next fiscal year, Polygon reported. Two of those are believed to be Assassin’s Creed: Origins and Far Cry 5. It’s possible the third one will be a new entry into the Splinter Cell franchise.