Now some good news! Our friend “Angus Johnson” who is the developer of this tool, has released an updated stable version 4.2.0 of Resource Hacker which comes with many improvements and some new features. That’s a major update and every Resource Hacker user should download and install the new version.
What’s new in 4.2.0 version:
- Redesigned user interface (UI)
- New toolbar which can be disabled using Edit -> Preferences -> Hide Toolbar option
- Unicode support
- Improved display of ANI Icon/Cursor
- Major redesign to properly handle RC files
- Now its easy to compile *.rc script files from commandline and GUI
- Now its easy to create resources from scratch
- Addition of script templates for new resources
- Addition of search feature
- Bug fixes related to compiler
- Also comes in portable version
What was new in 4.0.0 version:
- Main changes include better displaying of images (esp. 32-bit images)
- Allows creating RES files from scratch (including template dialog, menu, string table, version and manifest resources)
- Numerous cosmetic improvements
What was new in 3.6.0 version:
- Can decompile/compile 64-bit executable
- Added PNG image support
- Added PNG icons support
You can download the new version using following link:
NOTE: People who want to create and use a portable version of Resource Hacker, just install it using the setup file and after installation, copy “Resource Hacker” folder from “C:\Program Files” folder to any other desired location like another drive, USB stick, etc and then run the EXE file from there. You are ready to enjoy the portable version.
UPDATE: Now an official portable version of Resource Hacker is also available for download at the website.