- You can use Xbox Game Bar to record screens on Windows 10 laptop/ PCs
- macOS laptops and PC users can rely on built-in QuickTime Player to record screens
- There are several screen recorders for Windows 7 out there
Screen recorders come handy when you want to save live streaming, film a tutorial, or share what you’re looking at with your friends. Luckily, you don’t need to download third-party recorders for Windows 10 and macOS laptops/ PCs. Both the operating systems come built-in with screen recording tools. If you’re wondering, how to record your screen in Windows 10 and macOS? We’ve outlined a few simple steps below. While Windows 7 laptops and PCs don’t have screen recording utility, you can download any third-party application or the one listed below.
How to record screen on Windows 10 laptops/ PCs
- To record screen on Windows 10 laptops for free, run Xbox Game Bar with Windows key + G command
- Check the “Yes, this is a game” checkbox to load the Game Bar
- Open the app whose screen you wish to record
- Click on the start recording button or press Win + Alt + R to record the screen. You can also record audio by enabling the microphone from the game bar.
- Stop the recording by clicking on the red button
- That’s it! The screen recording in Windows 10 will be saved as MP4 on your device under the Videos folder in a subfolder called Captures. You can also access the recording from the Xbox app under the Game DVR menu
It’s worth mentioning that this screen recorder for Windows 10 laptops/ PCs only works on a handful of apps. Xbox Game Bar can’t capture the entire desktop and programs such as File manager.
How to record screen in Windows 7 and save it as a video
For Windows 7 laptops/ PCs, you’ll have to download third-party apps. OBS Studio is among the best full-screen record software available right now. You can sideload it on Windows 10, macOS, and Linux laptops as well to record full screen for free.
- Go to https://obsproject.com/ in your computer’s web browser and download OBS Studio setup file for Windows on your desktop
- Downloaded files are usually saved in Downloads –> go to the folder and double-click on OBS Studio setup file
- This will prompt the installation window to open
- Install OBS Studio and launch it on your device
- The first time you run OBS Studio, it’ll ask if you want to run the Auto-Configuration Wizard. Click on Yes and follow the prompts.
- You’re now good to record screens in Windows 7. Click on the ‘+’ icon –> ‘Display Capture’ –> ‘Create new’ –> Enter a name for your capture –> Click ‘Ok’
- Start and Stop recording options will be in the lower-right section of the OBS Studio window
- The full-screen recording will be saved on your desktop. To view it, click ‘File’ in the menu bar and ‘Show Recordings’ in the resulting drop-down menu
How to record screen and audio on macOS laptops/ PCs
Screen recording on macOS laptops/ PCs can be done using the built-in QuickTime Player. In addition to capturing what’s on your screen, the application lets you record external audio through a microphone. That said, it doesn’t let you record internal audio.
- To record screen in macOS using QuickTime Player, press Command + Shift + 5
- Alternatively, you can also open the QuickTime Player, then go to ‘Files’ and select ‘New Screen Recording’
- A control bar will appear at the bottom of your screen with options to record screen as well as take screenshot
- You have the options to record the entire screen or a specific portion. Additionally, go to ‘Options’ to set your preferences, enable microphone, set timer, and more
- When you’re ready, click “Record”. If it’s the entire screen, click anywhere to start recording
- Press the stop button in the right corner of the menu bar at the top of the screen or press Command + Control + Esc to stop recording. You can also press Command + Shift + 5 to view the screenshot
- The screen recording will be saved on the desktop or your preferred location
Much like Windows 10, the screen recorder for macOS desktops doesn’t cover all programs. Some apps, like Apple’s built-in DVD Player, will block you from doing any screen recording.
How to record streaming videos on desktop
You can use the above-mentioned steps to record screen in Windows/ macOS to record streaming videos on desktop as well. Having said that, the steps won’t work on all streaming platforms. Additionally, you’ll not be able to record internal audio unless you turn on the external mic and turn up the volume, but this won’t give you great audio, or download a third-party app, like Soundflower or Audacity.