As 2016 draws to an end, smartphone enthusiasts have much to look forward to in the coming year. Smartphone technology grows by leaps and bounds every year and 2017 isn’t going to be any different.
We have prepared a list of 5 smartphone features that could set the trend for the industry in the coming year:
1. 4K displays: Although the industry is struggling to provide proper backup to high-resolution smartphones, 4K still seems to be the national transition for smartphone displays. We have already seen one 4K smartphone in the form of the Sony Xperia Z5, but the technology is expected to evolve further with phones such as the Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Edge. During the next year, smartphone buyers might have to choose between 4K UHD smartphones and 4K OLED smartphones.
2. Edge-to-edge displays: The bezels on smartphones have grown thinner each year. 2017 is expected to be the year of edge-to-edge displays with the thinnest bezels ever on phones such as the LG G6.
3. Bluetooth 5.0: Bluetooth SIG just debuted the new Bluetooth standard – Bluetooth 5.0. The new technology will travel through walls and reduce breaks in Bluetooth connections between devices.
4. 10nm processor technology: As smartphones evolve, they also grow more power-hungry, amplifying the need for efficient processors. 10nm processor technology is expected to become the global flagship standard since it provides better performance and battery usage than the current 14nm technology.
5. Dual-camera system: Dual cameras have already made an appearance on high-end smartphones, but haven’t become mainstream yet. 2017 is expected to be the year when major smartphones will adopt dual cameras for better image processing.