Thunderbolt 3 docking stations are really cool, but there is a big problem with them — most computers don’t have TB3! Unfortunately, manufacturers typically only put Thunderbolt 3 in premium laptops, with budget and mid-range computers often left out of the party.
Thankfully, USB is ubiquitous, and there are docking stations that are compatible with it. Most new docks, however, are designed for USB-C. So what do you do if you want a fancy new docking station but only have USB-A? Well, StarTech.com has a new product that answers that question. Called “DK30C2DPEP,” it is a hybrid docking station that works with both USB-A and USB-C computers. This is achieved by supplying a USB-C to USB-C cable that has a USB-A adapter attached.
The StarTech.com DK30C2DPEP offers 100W power delivery, and has all of the useful ports you’d expect. On the front, you get USB-C, USB-A, 3.5mm audio, and a power button. On the rear, it has the power port, USB-C host, dual HDMI, dual DisplayPort, two USB-A ports, and Gigabit Ethernet.
“The new Hybrid Universal Laptop Docking Station with 100W Power Delivery helps ease the transition from USB-A to USB-C and simplifies mixed deployments of USB-A and USB-C laptops across an organization. Backed by leading industry certifications, this new docking station offers universal compatibility and higher power delivery to accommodate the needs of diverse laptop users who require more charging power. Its flexibility makes this new dock the perfect solution for large organization rollouts, shared workstations, home office and CYOD (choose your own device) environments,” says StarTech.com.
The popular company also says, “This docking station also offers the connections and flexibility employees require. Flexible monitor configurations allow users to connect to dual 4K DisplayPort monitors, or dual 4K HDMI monitors, one of each, or a single 5K DisplayPort monitor. Employees can use this docking station to create a custom high-resolution workstation that helps increase productivity. It also features VESA pattern mounting holes for flexible installation and provides the ability to secure optional add-on mounting brackets to mount the docking station on monitors or under desks, keeping it secured and out of sight.”
StarTech.com shares features of the docking station below.
- Support for dual UHD 4K resolutions via dual 4K DisplayPort up to 4096 x 2160p @ 60Hz, dual 4K HDMI up to 4096 x 2160p @ 60Hz, or 1x 4K DP + 1x 4K HDMI display @ 60Hz
- Power ON/OFF button to conserve energy when not in use
- Includes 1m USB combo cable (USB-C with attached USB-A adapter) for easy set-up and a more convenient position and connection of dock to laptop.
- USB-C dock is fully USB-IF certified to meet top industry standards for USB 3.1 Gen 1, USB Type-C and Power Delivery, and VESA DisplayPort and DisplayLink certified to ensure optimal video connections
- Multiple USB ports for connecting different devices – 3x USB-A and 1x USB-C.
- Convenient fast-charging ports for both USB-C and USB-A mobile devices and smartphones.
- macOS, Windows, Chrome OS, Linux, and Android compatible
- Compatible with USB-C DP Alt Mode devices
- Mounting holes for optional use with docking station mounts SSPMSUDWM and SSPMSVESA, ideal for use in space-constrained workstations (bracket not included)
- Security lock slot for greater protection of office laptop
- Power your laptop with 100W Power Delivery using a USB-C power adapter
- Gigabit ethernet (RJ45) port supporting PXE Boot and Wake in LAN (WoL)
The StarTech.com DK30C2DPEP hybrid docking station with 100W PD is available immediately here for around $220. It is a good choice for those with either USB-A or USB-C laptops that want to transform their computer into a makeshift desktop. It should be particularly useful for those working from home nowadays.