How do I use Workout on my Apple Watch? Pick your type of workout, your goal, and away you go!
The Workout app on your Apple Watch functions as a hub to track all your workout data and then save it to the activity app on your iPhone. With a plethora of different types of workouts to choose from, Workout will most likely have something for you.
How to log workouts with Apple Watch
Whether you’re heading to the gym and jumping on a stationary bike, enjoying a nice long walk outdoors, or going for a brisk run around town, your Apple Watch can track any session, complete with distance, time, heart rate details, and more. Once you’re done, Apple Watch will log all this data in the Activity and Health apps on your iPhone. This way you can review information and track your progress whenever you’d like.
- Launch the Workout app on your Apple Watch.
- Tap on the type of workout you’re going to perform. You can scroll through all your options using your finger or the Digital Crown.
- Choose the type of goal you’d like to set for yourself by swiping left and right. Adjust the goal with the Digital Crown or your finger.
- If you don’t want a goal at all, choose Open, which is the last option
- Once you have your goal set, tap Start.
- Apple Watch will show a countdown.
- Apple Watch will notify you with a tap when you are halfway through your workout and when you achieve your goal.
- Swipe Right on the screen when you’re ready to end your workout.
- Tap on End.
- Apple Watch will present you with a workout summary. Use the Digital Crown or your finger to scroll to the bottom.
- Tap on Save to log your workout.
How to quickly pause a workout on Apple Watch
For most of us, our workouts are timed and we want the data our Apple Watch collects to be as accurate as possible. But what happens if we get a phone call, or something urgent comes up that interrupts the middle of a workout? If you’re using the built-in Workout app, pausing your workout is just as easy as completing it. Here’s how!
- Swipe right on the Apple Watch screen during a workout.
- Tap on Pause.
- You can confirm your workout is paused by looking in the top left corner.
- When you’re ready to resume your workout, swipe right on the screen again.
- Tap on Resume.
How to disable the Apple Watch’s screen during a workout
If you play a sport or enjoy an activity that involves sweat and/or some sort of object brushing up against the screen of the Apple Watch, chances are you’ve accidentally ended a calculated workout too soon. It’s annoying, and thankfully there’s an easy way to prevent it: Locking the Apple Watch’s screen so that nothing but a Force Press will wake it from slumber.
- Open the Workout app on your Apple Watch and Start a workout.
- Swipe right on the screen.
- Tap the Lock button.