The law states;
a person shall not store or gain access to information stored, in the terminal equipment of a subscriber or user unless the requirements of paragraph (2) are met.
(2) The requirements are that the subscriber or user of that terminal equipment-
(a) is provided with clear and comprehensive information about the purposes of
the storage of, or access to, that information; and
(b) has given his or her consent.
Regulation 6 of the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003 (PECR)
Here’s what the cookie consent pop-up might look like, and how it reads.
The law basically means that when people visit a website that stores cookies in their browser, they must know that it is saving them. They must also know what the point of saving these cookies is, and they have to agree to it.
There are exceptions to the law. When saving a cookie is absolutely necessary, i.e. without saving it you cannot use the website or service in question, the website doesn’t need to ask for your consent to save a cookie. It is assumed that you grant it by using the website or its service. For example; cookies needed to remember the things you’ve added to your shopping cart will be exempt as they are necessary to allow you to purchase an item.
The good news is that first and third party ad tracking cookies are not exempt from the law and will require consent from the user to save to your browser.
You can read the comprehensive directive issued by International Commissioner’s Office via the link at the end.The document gives a brief history of the law, defines terms and parties, and assists website owners and users alike regarding compliance.
- Best Soundbars with Dolby Atmos in 2018
- Dying Light 2 features an exponentially larger map and multiple endings
- Everything you need to start streaming games to Twitch or YouTube
- Nintendo is selling Super Smash Bros. Ultimate GameCube controllers for the Nintendo Switch!
- Best Pre-Built Gaming PCs for Playing Fortnite
- HoloLens 2 rumored to come with Qualcomm's XR1 VR chip on board
- Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Tablet vs. Microsoft Surface Pro: 2-in-1 showdown
- Corsair LL120 RGB fan review: Amazing looks and performance, but they don't come cheap
- Forza Horizon 4 runs at native 4K resolution on Xbox One X, allows 60 FPS
- Best Tempered Glass Screen Protectors for Surface Book and Surface Book 2 in 2018