[Windows Tip] Remove “Sharing”, “Security”, “Customize” and “Previous Versions” Tabs from Properties
When you right-click on a file, folder or drive in Windows and select "Properties" option, it opens the selected item's properties window which contains several tabs based on the selected item type.
For example, when you open a folder's properties in Windows, you get following tabs:
- Previous Versions
Today in this tutorial, we'll tell you how to remove these tabs from folder properties window. Sometimes you may not want to show some tabs in folder properties, for example you may want to restrict users from accessing sharing or security tab or you may want to hide customize tab from folder properties so that no one can customize the look or type of any folder.
This tutorial will help you in removing any desired tab from folder's properties window. The method given in this tutorial will work in all Windows versions.
So if you want to hide/remove any desired tab from folder properties window, following steps will help you:
1. Remove "Sharing" Tab from Folder Properties
The "Sharing" tab is shown in all files, folders and drives properties. If you want to remove "Sharing" tab from properties window, check out following tutorial:
Above mentioned tutorial contains step-by-step guide to remove the "Sharing" tab from properties window.
2. Remove "Security" Tab from Folder Properties
The "Security" tab is also shown in properties of all files, folders and drives. If you want to remove "Security" tab from properties, check out following steps:
You can remove "Security" tab from properties using following 2 methods:
METHOD 1: Using Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)
1. Press "WIN+R" key combination to launch RUN dialog box then type gpedit.msc and press Enter. It'll open Group Policy Editor.
2. Now go to:
User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> File Explorer (or Windows Explorer)
3. In right-side pane, look for "Remove Security tab" option.
4. The option would be set to Not Configured. Double-click on it and set it to Enabled.
That's it. It'll immediately remove "Security" tab from file/folder/drive properties window.
PS: In future, if you want to restore the tab, double-click on "Remove Security tab" option and set it not Not Configured again.
METHOD 2: Using Registry Editor (regedit)
If you are using Home edition of Windows OS, you'll not find Group Policy Editor tool as this Windows edition doesn't contain this program. But you can enable Group Policy Editor in this edition using this tutorial.
If you can't use or don't want to use Group Policy Editor, you can take help of Registry Editor for the same task. Just follow these simple steps:
1. Press WIN+R keys together to launch RUN dialog box. Now type regedit and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now go to following key:
3. In right-side pane create a new DWORD NoSecurityTab and set its value to 1
4. Close Registry Editor and restart your system or restart Explorer as mentioned here. After restart, you'll no longer see "Security" tab in properties window.
PS: If you decide to restore the tab in future, delete the DWORD created in step 3.
3. Remove "Previous Versions" Tab from Folder Properties
The "Previous Versions" tab is shown in files, folders and drives properties. If you want to remove "Previous Versions" tab from properties window, check out following tutorial:
4. Remove "Customize" Tab from Folder Properties
The "Customize" tab is shown in folders and drives properties. If you want to remove "Customize" tab from properties window, check out following tutorial:
=== === === === === === === === ===
That's all for now. If you want to get rid of any other tab from properties window, ask about it in your comment and we'll do our best to provide a solution if possible.